Please read this policy to learn about our privacy practices.
If you are a California resident, please refer to our Privacy Notice for California Residents, available here.
If you are a former member of the Former Membership Service (as notified by email in March of 2021), please click here.
- This Policy explains the privacy practices of Travelzoo and its family of related companies including licensees (collectively, "Travelzoo") and applies to your use of Travelzoo’s products and services as a consumer or as a representative of a client of Travelzoo, including the websites, e-mail newsletters and mobile applications that link to this Policy (collectively, the "Services"). For more information about the specific Services that are covered in this Policy, click here;
- This Policy covers how Travelzoo treats the personal information we collect and receive related to your use of our Services and Mobile Apps. It also explains the rights you have in respect of Travelzoo's use of your personal information;
- This Policy does not apply to the practices of people or companies that Travelzoo does not own, control, employ or manage, except where incorporated by reference within licensing arrangements with third parties;
- Minors - You must be at least 18 years old to register, subscribe for or otherwise use Travelzoo's Services because Travelzoo is available only to individuals who can form legally binding contracts under applicable law. Travelzoo does not knowingly collect or use any information relating to individuals under 18 years old.
When we collect your personal information
- Travelzoo collects personal information about you when you:
- Visit and use our websites or mobile applications;
- Register, subscribe for or sign in/up to our Services;
- Purchase products or services from Travelzoo;
- Send or receive email communications to or from Travelzoo;
- Use any Travelzoo software widgets;
- Visit the websites of or make bookings through Travelzoo partners;
- Voluntarily provide us personal information by phone, email, live chats, message boards, job fairs or seminars, in letters, online forms and other correspondence. For the avoidance of doubt, this also refers to any personal information you may provide as a representative of a client of Travelzoo;
- Participate in a member review through our Services or through one of our partners;
- Register for a webinar, seminar or info session hosted or co-hosted by Travelzoo;
- Are referred deals by a user of the Services; and
- Enter promotions, contests or sweepstakes sponsored by or in connection with Travelzoo.
Personal information that we collect from you
- Personal information that we collect through our Services
When you subscribe to or use our Services, we collect the following personal information from you:
- Contact information such as name, email address, mailing address, postcode, country of residence, telephone or mobile number, user name and password;
- Billing information such as credit card information and billing address;
- Demographic information such as age, race, ethnicity, household information (marital status, presence of children), income, occupation, your date of birth and gender;
- Information concerning your personal preferences, such as preferred travel deals and airport, and other personal interests you share with us;
- Information about your transactions with us and our business partners through your use of our Services, such as the travel, entertainment and other deals you access and book and with whom;
- Information about your browser and your device such as your IP address and, when using our mobile applications, data such as device type and OS version. Travelzoo receives IP addresses from all users because this information is automatically reported by your browser each time you view a web page. Your IP address is also stored in our user registration databases when you register or subscribe with Travelzoo. For more information on IP Addresses, click here;
- Information about your website visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our websites (including date and time), page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs) and methods used to browse away from the page;
- Personal information that you give to us by filling in forms on our websites or mobile applications, by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This also includes the phone number used to call our customer service number;
- Calls to and from our customer service help desk may be recorded or monitored for the purpose of quality control and for staff training. Any personal information obtained from you during the call will be treated in accordance with the provisions of this Policy; and
- Location information. When you are using our mobile application, we collect geo-location information. We may request access or permission to and track location-based information from your mobile device, either continuously or while you are using our mobile application, to provide location-based services. If you wish to change our access or permissions, you may do so in your device’s settings.
- Personal information we collect when you enter a promotion, sweepstakes or contest
- When you enter a promotion, sweepstakes, or contest hosted by Travelzoo or sponsored by Travelzoo and/or our many partners, we may ask for your name, address, and email address. You may also be asked to provide additional information (such as member reviews, photos or videos) or to answer certain questions, some of which may be optional, in order to participate;
- We may use the personal information you provide to contact you in connection with a particular promotion, such as a sweepstakes or contest – for example, to update you of your status, administer the promotion, let you know that a promotion has ended, and for other purposes. For more information on promotions, click here.
- When you participate in a Travelzoo-sponsored or hosted promotion, sweepstakes, or contest, you are subject to the official rules of that promotion, sweepstakes, or contest as communicated to you when you participate in such promotion, sweepstakes, or contest.
- Personal information that we obtain from Third-Party Sources
- We may collect information through the use of third-party web analytics services (such as Google Analytics) to provide information such as the number of visits to a particular page or the amount of time spent on a website;
- We may use information from you and third-party websites to show you relevant advertising on third-party websites (e.g., Facebook, Google, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, LinkedIn, and Twitter). This could involve showing you an advertising message on social media. If you don’t want to be shown targeted advertising messages from Travelzoo, third-party websites may allow you to request not to see messages from specific advertisers on that website in the future. In addition, social media providers, such as Facebook, may send us information about you in line with their policies. If you wish to prevent that sharing, you can do so by editing your Facebook privacy settings or the relevant settings/preferences for other social media providers; and
- We may obtain information about you from other sources if we have a lawful basis to do so. For example, we may hire a third-party data aggregator to provide us additional information about our existing consumers, such as purchase history and demographic information, to provide more effective personalization.
We use your personal information to:
- Provide you with the products or services you have requested from us or through our Services;
- Customize the content and provide targeted advertising for our Services and to improve our Services;
- Contact you with offers by Travelzoo and/or third parties that we think may be of interest to you;
- Conduct customer research or satisfaction surveys and provide anonymous and/or aggregated reporting for internal and external clients;
- By signing up for our mobile services, downloading our mobile application or providing your phone number, you consent to receiving push notifications, advertising messages and text messages from Travelzoo relating to our products and services. To opt-out of receiving push notifications, you can disable push notifications on your mobile device system settings;
- When using our mobile website or application, if you tell Travelzoo where you are located (e.g., by allowing your mobile device to send Travelzoo your precise location), Travelzoo may use that information to provide you with location-based information, tailored offers and advertising. Precise location information is not shared with any third parties who are not providing services to us. If you wish to deactivate this feature, you can disable location services on your mobile device; and
- Travelzoo may collect third-party information in connection with our gift giving service, e.g., if you purchase certain services for others, such as hotel reservations or Local Deal gift vouchers, we will collect the personal information of the recipients of these services from you. We will collect the relevant contact information of the gift recipient which may include name, address, and email address. You must make sure that you have the right to provide such personal information. When you provide any personal information for another person, you represent to us that the person whose data you share with us agrees to the provision of their information to us for us to collect, use and disclose such personal information as set forth in this Policy. We will use this gift recipient information only for the service for which you share such information and not to market directly to the recipient unless the recipient is currently registered with Travelzoo independently. To provide this service, we may also obtain address information of the gift recipient from third-party sources, such as postal service providers, to verify the address so we can properly ship your gift order and to prevent fraud. If an individual whose personal information you have provided us wishes to request the deletion of their personal information, they can contact us via the contact details at the end of this Policy.
Recipients of personal information and when we share information with them
Internal recipients: Within Travelzoo, the only individuals who process your personal information are those who need it for the purposes specified in this Policy.
External recipients: Travelzoo does not rent or sell personal information about you to external recipients, however, we reserve the right to share the personal information we collect about you with third parties when we have a lawful basis to do so, as outlined in this section. External recipients may include:
External service providers that we use to provide the Services. We carefully select and inspect these processors on a regular basis to make sure that the security and confidentiality of your personal data are safeguarded. The service providers may use the data only for the purposes specified by us and in accordance with our instructions. If you are making a purchase through our services, we work with third parties and trusted business partners to securely collect your credit card, billing address and other verifying information. Our third-party partners are required to follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information they receive and/or process on our behalf. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure and thus we cannot guarantee its absolute security;
- We may provide data to trusted partners who work on our behalf to communicate with you about offers from Travelzoo including to select and serve relevant adverts to you. Note, these companies do not have any right to use or share your personal data for any other purposes and we do not typically disclose information about identifiable individuals, however they may use aggregate data for statistical purposes;
- If we have a lawful basis to do so, we may also provide data to our third-party analytics partners, such as Google Analytics, for the purposes of tracking usage information. We will share your personal information only as necessary for the third-party to provide that service. To opt out of Google Analytics’ use of your information, please visit: tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout;
- We may contract with third parties to analyze our customer data and/or handle web chat, email, customer services and other services. These third parties may monitor or record telephone calls on our behalf for quality assurance and training purposes. The companies we employ to help us with these tasks may have access to personal data to perform their functions, but are not permitted to use it for any other purposes;
- We may invite you to write a member review on your personal experience and display the information that you provide to us. When submitting a review, you should not provide any personally information that you do not wish to make publicly available. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us via the contact information at the end of this Policy. You may also wish to leave a comment on one of our posts by means of a third-party, such as Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Please be aware that you may be sharing personal information with these other networks or social media providers; and
(b) Public bodies
We may share your personal information with law enforcement, regulatory authorities, courts with competent jurisdictions, emergency services, including:
- to comply with legal requirements, orders, or proceedings;
- to comply with laws or regulatory requirements and to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- to protect the safety of our employees and agents, our customers, or any person.
(c) Companies of the Travelzoo corporate group
If we have a lawful basis to do so, we may transfer your personal information to companies of the Travelzoo corporate group.
(d) Other business partners
- In order to provide our users a seamless experience, some pages on our websites may be hosted by unrelated third parties.
- As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data. We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information we collect about you in order to improve the services we offer you, improve our marketing efforts, perform analytics, or improve website functionality;
- A web beacon is activated as part of a web page or email and allows us to count visitors to our websites and to recognize users by accessing Travelzoo cookies which help us personalize your experience when you use our Services;
- Travelzoo also uses web beacons to conduct research on behalf of our partners and for auditing purposes. No personally identifiable information about you is shared with partners from this research. For more information about our use of web beacons, click here;
Local storage - HTML5/flash cookies
- On Travelzoo we use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 storage to store content information and preferences. We use Flash cookies on Travelzoo for the same purpose. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. To manage Flash LSOs please click here.
Your account information and communication preferences
- Travelzoo respects your right to control how your personal information is used. Travelzoo may give you the opportunity to request marketing communications from vendors, partners, advertisers, and other service providers;
- When we send you marketing communications based on your prior consent, you can revoke your consent to the sending of marketing communication or change your preferences at any time and free of charge;
- For more information about these opportunities to request marketing communications, to edit your personal information, to unsubscribe from receiving Travelzoo services you previously requested, or to update your account, please manage your subscriptions here or by logging into the "My Account" section on the website. Users may also follow unsubscribe instructions included in each promotional email. If you have any issue accessing your profile page or account, or would like to deactivate your account, please see our customer support page here or email us at email@example.com. We will respond to your requests within ten business days; and
- Please note that even if you choose not to receive travel, entertainment and other deals directly to your e-mail inbox, we may still send you certain communications relating to your account, any purchases made, or if you inquire about Travelzoo Services. These may include service announcements, customer service notices, feedback requests and administrative messages;
Confidentiality and security of your personal information
- Travelzoo takes industry-standard technical and organizational security measures to protect your personal data under our control against loss, misuse, or alteration. When you enter a credit card number on our websites or in our mobile applications, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). For more information on data security at Travelzoo, click here;
- However, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will put in place appropriate security measures to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our websites, our email accounts or our mobile applications; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access;
- Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our websites or our mobile applications, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone; and
Social media widgets
- Our websites and mobile applications may include social media features, such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter buttons and widgets, or interactive mini-programs that run on our websites or mobile applications. These Features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our websites, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third-party or hosted directly on our websites or mobile applications; and
- We cannot guarantee the safety and privacy of data you provide to any third parties. Any data collected by third parties is not covered by this Policy. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of any third parties, including other websites, services or applications that may be linked to or from our Services. You should review the policies of such third parties and contact them directly to respond to your questions.
Single sign on
- Our Services may offer you the ability to register and login using your third-party social media account details (like your Facebook, Google or Apple logins). Where you choose to do this, we will receive certain profile information about you from your social media provider. The profile information we receive may vary depending on the social media provider concerned, but will often include your name, email address, friends list, profile picture as well as other information you choose to make public. If you login using Facebook, we may also request access to other permissions related to your account, such as friends, check-ins, and likes, and you may choose to grant or deny us access to each individual permission; and
- We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with Travelzoo, in each case in accordance with this Policy and with applicable law;
- Where we process personal data for marketing purposes or with your consent, we process the data until you ask us to stop and for a short period after this (to allow us to implement your requests), unless we are under a legal obligation to hold the data for longer. We also keep a record of the fact that you have asked us not to send you direct marketing or to process your data so that we can respect your request in the future. This record will be kept for as long as we retain your personal data in accordance with this section;
- We may retain certain information associated with your account in our archives, including for analytical purposes as well as for recordkeeping integrity. The periods for which we retain your information depend on the purpose(s) for which we collected and use such data;
- We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements); and
- When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible. If you request termination of your Travelzoo account, it is our practice to deactivate your account and block further email deliveries to you within approximately ten business days from your request.
Travelzoo may update this Policy from time to time, so we recommend you visit this page occasionally. Changes to this Policy are effective when they are posted on this webpage. When we change this Policy in a material way, we will update the "last updated" date at the bottom of this Policy. If you do not agree to these changes, please do not continue to use Travelzoo’s Services or submit personal information in other ways to Travelzoo.
How to contact us
If you have questions about this Policy, regarding disclosure of personal information to third parties should it ever occur, or about data we may hold about you, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
590 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Last updated: June 7, 2022
- June 7, 2022: We continuously strive to be as transparent as possible about how we process your data. Therefore, we have updated the Policy to further improve transparency by simplifying the structure of our Policy and providing even more detailed information about the data we collect from you, the lawful bases for processing this data and your rights with respect to such data.